We spend about a third of our lives sleeping. You probably know that a good night’s rest is extremely important for your health, focus and energy levels. Part of what lets you get the best sleep is the pillow you’re sleeping on.
Pillows can make a huge difference in the quality and quantity of sleep you get each night because they support your head and neck and make your sleeping arrangements more comfortable. Pillows are not one-size-fits-all—to find the pillow that is right for you, you’ll need to do some research and test pillows out at a store that sells bedroom furniture in Batesville, AR.
Not sure what kind of pillow will provide you with optimal sleep? Use this guide to help make a decision!
Identify your sleeping position
The first step to finding your perfect pillow is to figure out which position you tend to sleep in. You might think you sleep on your back, stomach or side more, but test it out for a few nights before buying your pillow, just to be sure. People who sleep in different positions will need a certain firmness and thickness to provide adequate support for their heads:
- Back: If you tend to sleep on your back, you’ll want to look for a pillow with medium thickness. These pillows should support the base of your neck without holding your head too low or too high.
- Stomach: Stomach sleepers will probably want a very thin pillow (or no pillow) so your head can remain in line with your spine.
- Side: If you usually sleep on your side, you’ll want to look for a thicker and firmer pillow to provide adequate neck support.
- Mix: If you tend to roll around in your sleep, shifting through numerous sleeping positions, you’ll need to find a pillow that can support these changes. Look for one with medium thickness that is still soft enough to be comfortable the entire night.
Types of pillows
Once you know your preferred sleeping position, you can look for a pillow with the right thickness and firmness you require. This will guide you toward selecting a pillow with a particular type of filling, or fill:
- Down or feather: Down and feather pillows are very popular in the bedroom furniture market because they are usually high quality, can last a long time and are soft. Down filling will be lighter and softer than feathers, which are usually harder. Pillows filled with down or feathers are malleable and can be formed to provide support in the areas you need it during the night.
- Wool: Wool is good for regulating your temperature at night, providing warmth in cold temperatures and keeping you cool in hot temperatures. In general, wool pillows tend to be pretty firm.
- Cotton: Like wool, cotton pillows are also firm. Cotton pillows also tend to be flatter, making them good choices for stomach sleepers.
- Memory foam: Memory foam pillows are increasingly popular because of the high amount of support they provide. These pillows conform to the shape of your head and neck and are quite useful for people with frequent head or neck pain.
- Latex: Unlike memory foam pillows, latex pillows are resilient and hold their shape, providing support in particular areas, depending on the contour or shape. Latex pillows tend to be firmer, but are still very comfortable.
Once you have an idea of the right pillow for your sleeping style and the type of pillow that you might prefer, go to a store selling bedroom furniture in Batesville, AR and actually test the pillows out. Lay with the pillow on a bed to see if it is comfortable before buying.
If you’re searching for your new perfect pillow, visit David’s Home And Sleep Center. Our store carries a wide variety of high-quality living room, dining room, office and bedroom furniture in Batesville, AR. We even offer home delivery and interior decoration services! Visit us today.
Categorised in: Bedroom Furniture